By working with and supporting our African partners, we serve a variety of people, projects and situations.
In all our work and support we seek to hold to some general principles:
- Encourage and help people to take long-term responsibility for their circumstances and to learn to help themselves
- Don’t create or encourage existing ‘dependency’
- Don’t (in effect) ‘subsidise’ poverty
- Reinforce productive work
- Create producers
- Invest in self-sufficiency and sustainable development
There are also circumstances (such as severe disability, acute long-term illness, the care of abandoned babies) where people are, to the greater extent, unable to realistically help themselves. We also support programmes and projects helping in the relief of such circumstances for people who otherwise would be neglected and not receive any other form of help.